Tuesday 3 January 2012

Lunatic fringe

Now I have a fringe, I'm having to think about things I have not previously considered. I've bought straighteners and multiple strange hairbrushes, which hurt. I've moved from slapping a bit of conditioner on, combing and forgetting about my hair to having to use product. Which hurts. For reasons that may become apparent if I get round to uploading the pictures, I have quite a lot of different products hanging around at present (although no serum or heat protector or hairspray so I still had to cough up for those. Which hurt). It's all intensely irritating, especially as people have either not commented about the fringe or told me that I look tired.

However, I can't just leave it because it looks appalling au naturale - curly, frizzy and sticky outy. I was going to post a picture of Grayson Perry at this point but a quick look at Google Images shows that he has his fringe under far better control than I do.

So here are the products I've tried so far with the straighteners:

  • Paul Mitchell leave in conditioner (my previous defrizzing and curl enhancing standby): rubbish. No straightening power at all.
  • Moroccan Oil (apparently what the salon used): as used by the hairdresser kept my fringe straight for 3 days (no rain). As used by me (immediate rain) kept my fringe straight for about 5 minutes.
  • Ojon Conditioning Finishing Paste, plus Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom: one day so far (immediate rain). However my hair looks lanky and sticky and about 3 shades darker.
Further product reports to come as I try them out.

The straighteners by the way are Remington and cost £18 from TKMaxx. They have ceramic plates and look no different to the expensive sort you see for sale in salons.

4 comments:

  1. Curls I'm not so good at, but my fringe has a cow lick in it. What I've found useful:

    1) silicone-heavy serum like Frizz-Ease or (?) John Harrington (something involving an H). I got these in mini travel sizes and they last a long time. Put it on wet hair.

    2) commence blow dry when hair is wet, not even towel dry.

    3) Use a brush and blast at fringe while brushing it from one side to the other (rather than just straight down).

    And welcome to the fringe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut my fringe myself so I've no one but myself to blame.

    I like Tommy Guns Leave Me In conditioner (Tommy Guns products also smell lovely.) But the only way I've found to avoid the frizz is to Never Go Outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to imagine you with a fringe and I bet it looks great. I too like Annie self-cut my own fringe last year (with kitchen scissors). The only thing I have to resort to is wetting it with water, brushing it down and drying it flat but not dry - half-dry. Brush again semi-dry as above and go out hoping for the best. Usually works! And hello - I am sort of back blogging but have moved to here:
    http://rockmother.posterous.com/

    Lots of love

    ax

    ReplyDelete