Tuesday 9 October 2012

Noises in my head. And outside my head.

You can be on a bit of a sticky wicket when you are known to be having mental health problems and you start complaining about strange noises.

However.

I'm putting this out here in the hope that someone Edinburgh based knows what the hell it is because it is driving me faintly homicidal and the council* can't do anything unless you know the source of the noise.

You can hear it between 6.30 and 9 ish in the morning and between about 8.30 and 11.30ish but sometimes much later at night. Also Sunday mornings until about 11. It's been going on for about 3-4 months now.

It sounds a little like a muted fog horn or the noise lighthouses make. It's low pitched and as much of a vibration as a sound and it pulses on and off. It cuts right through ear plugs and makes sleep impossible.

Does anyone have any ideas because it is making me very unhappy indeed?


*I think I could derive a lot of satisfaction out of being a noise abatement officer.

4 comments:

  1. Your neighbours' bathroom extractor fan? In the building I live in, these fans make an unbelievably low, loud humming sound that permeates the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly - in which case someone is spending a hell of a lot of time in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe not a fan but something heating related - a pump perhaps. The neighbours fish tank pump motor thingy was lodged against the party wall and the noise that the cavity between our two wall was unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my money is on it coming from [big company] HQ behind my block. The thing that clinched it for me is that for the first evening in forever, there was no noise last evening. And that was the evening there was a late running executive meeting (I can see right into the offices. They can see me coming out of the shower in the morning).

    ReplyDelete