Thursday 23 August 2012

Got it in one

image from inagist.com

Most Private Eye covers leave me wondering why they are supposed to be funny but occasionally they strike gold. This is one of those times.

Personally, the people I feel sorry for at present are the embassy staff. What appears to be the case about Assange's qualities as a houseguest is that he is utterly inconsiderate, contemptuous of other people's needs and property, apparently not that bothered about hygiene* and quite unsafe around women. It's all right for President Correa - he doesn't have to share a tiny apartment, possibly for many years to come with the creep**.

*If I can find the reference, I'll post it - it comes from quite a long article I read somewhere earlier this year or last year while Assange was still holed up in the country home of one of the saps that are now out the bail surety they put up.

** My personal view on all this? Assange =/= Wikileaks. I'm reservedly in favour of Wikileaks. Frankly if the conspiracy theorists are right and Assange ends up in an orange jumpsuit for the rest of his life, I won't lose a minute's sleep. If you're worried about your personal freedom, don't rape people***. It's not that hard.

*** I've been on the receiving end of the stunt he pulled with the sleeping woman. The three month's wait for the HIV test was not one of the better parts of my life.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way as you. Did you see the piece in today's Guardian about his chat-up technique and general sexism? Urgh.

    ReplyDelete