Tuesday 21 February 2012

What's in the box: 1. Pass the coathanger

The first service I tried from the vouchers* that came in the box was a Shavata brow threading and tint session. I wasn't really looking forward to this - I get my brows waxed periodically, which hurts and I'd been told that threading was a whole world of pain beyond waxing. Nor did I think that tinting was going to end well but as my brows are now white in places, I decided to risk it. And they really needed attention - when I'm stressed I have minor tricho symptoms and my brows take the brunt. Thanks to the dissertation hell I am extremely stressed at present.

The treatment took place in Harvey Nichols in full view of passing shoppers. In fact the threading barely hurt at all. I felt a little bit like one half of a velcro pair - it was prickly but very fast and far far less painful than either wax or plucking. I was very pleased with the shape too - natural but a lot tidier.

The tint I was less sure about. The dye was only left on for a minute or two and when I left the store it looked fine - a shade darker than my natural brow colour and nice and even but nothing extreme. However it can't have been removed properly because it continued to develop and half an hour later I was full on Joan Crawford and not very happy. I was told to use clarifying shampoo to strip the colour out and repeatedly washed my brows over the course of the next few hours. Overall it still looks a bit harsh to me if I'm not wearing makeup.

The combined service would have cost £35 if I were paying for it. I will consider threading again if I  ever feel financially flush again although it is considerably more expensive than waxing. The tint I think I'll pass on.

Before/after




* V. has already used a London only voucher for a Rene Guinot facial and reports that it was 'lovely'.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's lovely. I am inspired by the tint, I never thought of that. Mine are virtually invisible. I know what you mean - one of my friends made me up for a sixties party years ago and I felt like she'd given me Groucho Marx eyebrows...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/slaminsky/185411560/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That actually looks rather good on you I have to say - have you ever considered going brunette for fun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I am a brunette really, it's naturally dark brown - I have to have highlights to cover the grey. Bah. But my eyebrows are still invisible.

    ReplyDelete